Beef and Shishito Pepper Skewers with Cucumber-Orange Salad
- For the Skewers
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sake, white wine, or orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, smashed with the side of a knife
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil or canola oil
- 2 lbs grass fed beef
- about 16 shishito peppers, halved crosswise if large
- 8-12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
- Chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish
For the Salad Dressing
- Juice of half an orange, plus more to taste
- 1 TBS chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil (or canola oil if you don’t have sesame oil)
- to your taste salt and black pepper
For the Salad
- 1 cucumber washed and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 cup watercress and/ or little gem lettuce
- 1 orange peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 sheet nori seaweed cut into small pieces with kitchen scissors (optional)
- 1. Soak your skewers in cold water while you prep to prevent them from burning. Make a marinade by mixing the soy sauce, black pepper, salt, wine or orange juice, garlic, sugar, and oil in a bowl. Dry off your beef, slice it thin against the grain, mix it with the marinade, and refrigerate 30 minutes to overnight.
- 2. Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Thread beef (fold over as needed to skewer) and shishito peppers alternately onto skewers, starting and ending with beef. Brush with oil. Grill, turning often, until lightly charred and beef is medium rare, 5-7 minutes. Arrange the skewers on a platter and sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.
- 3. For the salad, put all the dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake it like you mean it. Toss the dressing with the salad ingredients.
- Not Included in Large Culinary Inspirations Box: Soy Sauce, Black Pepper, Sake, Brown Sugar, Salt, Sesame or canola oil, Skewers, vinegar, nori seaweed
- • Did you know: most shishito peppers are mild, but occasionally one will be unexpectedly fiery!
/Narrative Food http://blog.narrativefood.com/