Sauteed Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, & Mustard
- 1-2 lbs. potatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2-4 tbsp butter
- 1-2 lbs. bratwurst sausage
- 1-2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1.5 cups sauerkaut
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4-1/2 cup water or white wine
- Mustard, for serving
Start with the Potatoes
- Put the potatoes, garlic, bay leaf and peppercorns in a large saucepan and add cold water to cover by about an inch. Season the water generously with salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender. (Meanwhile get your bratwurst cooking as per below).
- Drain and discard the garlic, bay leaf and peppercorns. Halve the potatoes, toss with butter and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- In a cast iron skillet or sauté pan, heat up some olive oil and sauté the onions til soft. Add the bratwurst and. after a few minutes, add the apple to the pan. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste, remembering that sausage is pretty salty as is.
- Add the sauerkraut and the water or white wine. Simmer under a closed lid for 5 – 8 minutes.Serve bratwurst with onions, apples and sauerkraut and drizzle some mustard on the top or serve on the side with the potatoes.
Narrative Food Blog http://blog.narrativefood.com/