Cherry and Wheat Berry Salad
For the dressing
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt and crushed black pepper
For the wheat berry salad
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- ½ cup sliced almonds or other nut, lightly toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed (optional)
- ½ medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Lettuce, torn into salad-sized pieces
- For the dressing, grate the ginger into a bowl, or jar, add the remaining dressing ingredients and whisk or shake well to combine. Set aside.
- Placed the cooked wheat berries in a large bowl.
- Toast the almonds in a small pan set over medium heat (do not oil the pan) for about 5 minutes or until light golden brown; add to the bowl.
- Then add the cherries, avocado (optional), red onion, lettuce and some of the dressing. Toss to combine well adding more dressing if you'd like.
- Serve immediately.
/Narrative Food http://blog.narrativefood.com/