Stuffed Artichokes with Leeks and Fresh Herbs
- Globe or baby artichokes, your portion
- 1 leek
- 1 TBS green garlic or regular garlic, chopped
- 1/2 TBS olive oil or butter
- handful each of parsley, mint, thyme, and rosemary
- 3 TBS canned or fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or 1/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 TBS goat cheese
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- To clean your artichokes: Cut off 1 inch of the stem, and carefully cut the artichoke in half. Use a paring knife or spoon to cut out the hairy/spiky choke in the center. Use a large knife or kitchen shears to cut off 1 inch of the leaves of the artichoke, opposite the stem end. Place into a pot of cold water. Repeat with all of your artichokes. Gently squeeze 1/2 a lemon into the pot, then drop the whole thing in. Add a handful of salt, about a TBS.
- Blanching the artichokes: This will make them tender and less bitter. Bring the pot of water with the cleaned artichokes and lemon to a boil on the stove. As soon as it boils, turn it off and remove the artichokes to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Make a quick filling: In a saute pan, heat the olive oil or butter. On medium heat, saute the leeks and garlic for 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the herbs, breadcrumbs or cooked rice, tomatoes, goat cheese, and beaten egg. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Put the blanched artichokes in a baking dish with the scooped out cavity facing upward. Use a spoon to put a heaping mound of filling in the cavity of each one. Top with a bit more breadcrumbs, if you like. Drizzle the 1 cup water around the artichokes (not on the filling) and bake for 30 minutes until filling is golden brown and delicious.
- Not included in the Box: Salt, pepper, olive oil or butter, breadcrumbs or cooked rice
/Narrative Food http://blog.narrativefood.com/