Stuffed Cabbage with Rice and Tomatillo Sauce
- 12-16 leaves of cabbage
- 2 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1 lb tomatillos, chopped
- 1 pear, peeled and chopped
- 1 TBS rosemary, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2/3 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Kokuho Rose rice
- 1/2 TBS kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBS feta cheese
- 1- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Dip the cabbage leaves in the boiling water for 20-30 seconds to soften them, and let them cool on a plate.
- 2- Heat 1 TBS olive oil in a pot. Add the chopped onion, chopped tomatillos, chopped pear, minced rosemary, and half the garlic. Cook until ingredients start to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Then add 6 cups of water and let it simmer on medium-low heat for 45 minutes. Add salt to your taste.
- 3- Meanwhile, make the rice filling. In a different pot, heat the rest of the olive oil. Add the scallions, bell pepper, and the other half of the garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add the rice and 1/2 TBS salt and stir and cook another 2 minutes. Add 1 2/3 cup water, cover tightly, and simmer for 17 minutes without lifting the lid. Turn off the flame and let the pot sit another 10 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and use a fork to stir in the cilantro and feta cheese.
- 4- Lay a softened cabbage leaf on a cutting board. Spoon on 2 TBS of the rice filling and roll up the cabbage leaf tightly, tucking in the sides as you go to totally seal it. Repeat with the other cabbage leaves and all the filling.
- 5- If the tomatillo sauce is very chunky, you can puree it with an immersion blender. Bring the sauce back to a simmer and carefully add the cabbage rolls. Simmer 3-4 minutes and adjust the salt. Serve each person 2-3 cabbage rolls with a generous amount of sauce.
- Not included in the Box: Olive oil, kosher salt.
Narrative Food Blog http://blog.narrativefood.com/