Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potatoes - 2 1/2 lb
- Butter - 4 TB
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Nutmeg - 1/4 tsp freshly grated
- Honey - 3 TB
- light-brown sugar - 3 TB
- Granulated Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Eggs - 3, lightly beaten
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- milk - 1 1/2 cups, heated
- Unsalted Butter - 1.5 tsp, softened
- The casserole topping
- Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
- All-purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp, ground
- Nutmeg - 1/4 tsp, freshly grated
- Salt - 1/8 tsp
- Unsalted Butter - 4 TB, chilled
- Pecans - 1/2 C, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, bake the sweet potatoes for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender. Let cool slightly, then peel.
- Raise the oven temp to 375°.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the hot sweet potatoes on low speed, adding the butter, sugar, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, salt and nutmeg, beating until blended. Add the eggs and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the hot milk.
- Butter a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish and pour in the sweet potatoes, and spread in an even layer.
- In a bowl, rub together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the pecans.
- Sprinkle the topping over the potatoes and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, browning the topping till crisp. If the topping starts to brown around the edges before the center is crisped, cut a large hole in the center of a sheet of foil and place it over the dish while it finishes baking. Serve hot.
- Not Included In the Box: nutmeg, honey, light-brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, milk, butter, flour, cinnamon, salt.
- Chef Tip: You can prep the sweet potatoes and topping the day before and store in the fridge. Just remember to bring them to room temperature before assembling.
- Small Boxes- cut this recipe in half.
/Narrative Food http://blog.narrativefood.com/