This recipe come from Ayda Robana of Om Sweet Mama. A Kielbasa is a type of sausage from Central or Eastern Europe. The word itself, means sausage in Polish. Ayda’s Kielbasa is seared in honey and eaten alongside braised red cabbage with apple.Print
Kielbasa and Beer and Braised Red Cabbage
- 1 package Sausage
- 2 x 12 oz. bottles of your favorite dark beer
- Dried bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves Garlic
- 1 chopped Shallot (opt., sub with some onion)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Red cabbage
- 1 Red onion
- 1 Apple
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Cut the sausages in half, and drop in the boiling liquid. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Strain the kielbasa, discarding the poaching liquid.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat up olive oil. Coat the kielbasa with the honey and pan sear until nice and golden brown.
- Delish! You can serve this with roasted red potatoes and braised red cabbage.
- Halve the cabbage and then thinly slice. Thinly slice red onion and apple.
- In a heavy stock pot, heat up olive oil and toss in the red onion and sauté for a few minutes until softened. Add the apple and cook together for a few more minutes. Add red cabbage, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and allow it to cook down on medium heat for 20 minutes.