Celeriac Ruben Sandwiches
A great vegetarian twist on a deli favorite.
- 1 head celeriac, peeled and sliced into thin circles
- 1 TBS kosher salt
- 8 slices marbled rye or Jewish rye bread
- 1 TBS spicy mustard
- 1 TBS mayonnaise
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- pickle chips, optional
- 2 TBS butter
- 1- Put the peeled celeriac slices in a small pot of water and add the salt. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until tender but not falling apart, then drain.
- 2- Spread each slice of rye with spicy mustard and mayo. On 4 of the pieces of rye, add 4 or 5 cooked celeraic slices, a heap of sauerkraut, 2 slices of cheese, and optional a few pickle chips. Top with the other slice of bread.
- 3- Butter the outside of the bread, and place sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 5 minutes, until cheese starts to melt. Cut in half and enjoy!
- Not included in the box: Kosher salt, rye bread, mustard, mayo, swiss cheese, pickle chips (opt)