- 4 Tbsp butter, cut into four pieces
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 pitted stone fruit, cut into quarters
- 1 cup pitted and halved cherries, or second type of stone fruit, cut into eighths
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 5 slices brioche, 1/2 inch thick
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the butter in a 9-inch square baking dish. Microwave on high for 40 seconds, or until butter is melted.
- Stir in the sugar and spread over bottom of dish.
- Cover with the cherries and/or stone fruit, and then sprinkle the orange zest over top.
- Arrange the brioche over the fruit in one layer. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the brioche, pressing down to soak.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Bake for 35 minutes, at 350 degrees until puffed, golden-brown and the center is firm to touch. Serve at once.
- *Bring the dish to room temp before baking, or place the dish in a cold oven and bring to 350 degrees to prevent the dish from cracking. Cook time may need to be adjusted if the dish is placed in a cold oven.