Alice Waters’ Carrot Soup and Marinated Roasted Pepper Salad ￼
For the Carrot Soup
- Butter – 4 TB
- Onions – 2 medium, sliced
- Thyme – 1 sprig
- Carrots – 2 1/2 lb, peeled & sliced
- Salt –
- Chicken Broth – 2 Cubes
For the Roasted Pepper Salad
- Roasted Peppers – a variety
- Vinegar – 1 tsp (red wine, sherry, or white wine vinegar)
- EVOO – 1-2 tsp
- Salt –
- Garlic – pounded to a puree
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter. When it starts to foam, add the onions and thyme and cook over medium-low heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the carrots, season with salt and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the broth, bring to a boil and then simmer until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- While this is happening prepare the peppers.
- Preheat the oven to 450F, then wash and dry your selection of peppers. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet with a bit of space between each pepper so they brown evenly. Keep turning until the skin is blistered and black and the peppers are soft but not falling apart, about 35 minutes. Allow to cool. Cut the peppers in half and scrape out the ribs and seeds. Peel off the skin. Tera or cut into 1/2-inch strips, then marinate with the garlic, vinegar, olive oil, sand salt and pepper to taste. (For a smokey flavor, grill over medium-hot coals instead of cooking in the oven.)
- Back to the soup. Season to taste with salt. For a smooth soup, use a blender and puree until smooth.
- • As a variation, add 1/4 cup basmati rice with the carrot, use water instead of broth, add 1 cup plain yogurt just before pureeing and garnish with cilantro.