Alice Waters Roast Chicken with Sweet Potato and Apple Mash
- 1 whole chicken
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1" dice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Approximately 1 lb apples
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, picked & minced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken. Tuck the wing tips up and under to keep them from burning. Season, 1 or 2 days in advance (if possible), sprinkling inside and out with the salt and pepper. Cover loosely and refrigerate. At least 1 hour before cooking remove and place in a lightly oiled pan, breast side up. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Roast for 20 minutes, turn the bird breast side down, and cook for another 20 minutes. Then turn breast side up again and roast until it's done, another 10 to 20 minutes. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes generously with some olive oil, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne. Lay the sweet potatoes out on a sheet tray, place them in the oven and roast until they are very soft and mushy -- 20-30 minutes.
- Peel the apples and cut into 1-inch dice. Toss the apples with the lemon juice, some olive oil,salt and rosemary. Lay them out on a sheet tray and place in the oven during the last 10 minutes of the cooking time of the sweet potatoes. When done, the apples should be soft and cooked through but still hold their shape. Sprinkle the walnuts if you're using them over the apples during the last 5 minutes in the oven.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and coarsely mash them with a potato masher. Stir in the cooked apples and walnuts.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Box: Salt, Ground Pepper, Olive Oil
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/