Apple, Blue Cheese, Celery Hearts, and Almond Salad
Included in box
- 1 escarole - inner leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced thin as possible (use a mandolin or a peeler)
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 celery heart and leaves
- Blue cheese
Not included in box
- Lemon and olive oil dressing
- Use chicories either in salads or cook them to mellow their flavors. If you have the griddle pan, you could grill the escarole or apple for this salad both would be delicious alternatives. Cut into wedges attached at the root, toss with a little oil salt and pepper and put them onto a hot grill.
- The paler inner leaves of the escarole are better suited to salad as they are less bitter. Use the outer darker leaves to sauté with garlic.
- This works best if you think of it as a chopped salad. I find it delicious to have all the flavors and textures in one mouthful. The bitterness of the escarole needs to be balanced by the sweet fruit, salty cheese and the cleanness of fennel and lemon.
- Build the salad as you go, chop everything bite size so it can all be eaten with just a fork. I squeeze lemon over then add olive oil to make the dressing, taste and adjust as necessary.
- Pomegranate would be a great addition to this salad. The easiest and quickest way to get the seeds out, is to cut the pomegranate in half, hold a half in your hand cut side facing down and bash the flesh with a large spoon. You will get every one out in no time.
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/