Back To Butter: Aunt Mimi's New Potatoes, Green Beans, and Bacon with Dill
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (opt)
- 1.5 tablespoon sea salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, scrubbed, bad spots removed
- 3.5 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fill a large-size pot with 3 quarts water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- While the water is heating (and only if using bacon) in a large-size saute pan over medium-high heat, saute the bacon until very crisp but not burnt, approximately 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the cooked bacon to drain on a paper towel. Reserve 1.5 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Once the water has reached a boil, add 1/2 tablespoons of the sea salt and the potatoes. Lower the heat to medium, cover with a lid, and boil for 5 minutes, then add the beans and remaining 1/2 tablespoon sea salt. Raise the heat to bring back to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and boil for 15 minutes, or until the beans are crisp tender and the potatoes are fork tender.
- While the vegetables are boiling, melt the butter in a small-size saucepan, then add the reserved bacon fat (except vegetarians), olive oil, dill, and parsley. Stir to combine.
- As soon as the vegetables are boiling, melt the butter in a small-size sauce pan, then add the reserved bacon fat (if using), olive oil, dill, and parsley. Stir to combine.
- As soon as the vegetables are cooked, remove from the heat and drain in a large-size colander. Return the vegetables to the hot pot, then pour the butter mixture over the hot vegetables and carefully fold to distribute. Season to taste with additional sea salt and pepper. Sprinkle with bacon (if using) and serve.
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: Bacon (opt), Salt, Butter (included in 3-5 box), Olive oil, Pepper
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/