- 1–2 eggplants
- 3 garlic cloves
- 7 tsp tahini
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tomato – seeds removed, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Sweet peppers
For the baba ghanoush
- Everything can be adjusted in this recipe to get it to taste exactly the way you want. More garlic, more eggplant, whatever…
- Heat your oven to broil and place the eggplants (whole) on a baking sheet. Char the outside of the eggplants until they deflate. Turn them frequently with tongs. This will take 10-15 minutes. Place them in a large bowl and cover with a kitchen towel for 30 minutes. Peel off the skin and place the “meat” in a food processor (or finely chop).
- Add the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, salt & pepper either to the food processor (and blend until smooth) or mix into eggplant by hand.
- Serve with pita triangles.
For the cucumber salad
- Combine cucumber, tomato, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
For the peppers
- Wash and dry the peppers, cut off the tops, and cut in half, removing seeds and membranes.
- Place on a baking sheet and put under the broiler until the skin is blackened and blistered.
- Place them in a plastic bag and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the skin (it should slip right off at this point), and cut into the size of strips you desire.
- Place in a bowl with the minced garlic, a little salt and pepper and enough oil to lightly coat.