- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 large tomatoes
- 8 slices of bread
- 1 avocado cored
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought mayonnaise
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1–2 small heads of romaine lettuce
- 2–3 tablespoons grated hard cheese
- Fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- Cook the bacon until crisp in a heavy bottomed pan. Reserve the bacon fat for another use. Slice the tomatoes and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toast the slices of bread. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of the avocado in one piece, and use a small, sharp knife to cut each avocado half into thin slices. Pull a few pieces of the romaine to use for the sandwiches.
- Once everything is assembled, put together the BLTs. Spread each side of bread with mayo, and layer with bacon, avocado, tomato, and lettuce.
- For the salad: If the romaine heads are small, you can leave them whole and cut into quarters. Wash each quarter well and spin dry. If the heads aren’t small, tear the leaves into pieces, wash, and spin dry.
- Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the leaves and rub gently. Then add the shredded cheese and mix well. Finally add a good drizzle of olive oil and mix. Serve immediately with the BLTs.
- Not included: Mayonnaise, Salt & Pepper, Grating Cheese, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Serving Size: 4