- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon for tossing with the pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry white or red wine
- Whole nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups canned tomatoes with juices
- 1 lb pasta
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Put the oil and butter in a pot and turn the heat to medium. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir to coat and cook until the onions have become translucent and the vegetables have started to soften, around 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, a generous pinch of salt, and some cracked pepper. Stir well and cook until the beef has lost its raw, red color.
- Add the milk and let simmer gently, stirring frequently, until all liquid has bubbled away. This may take a while so be patient. After the milk has evaporated, add a tiny grating of the nutmeg and stir.
- Add the wine and let simmer gently, stirring frequently, until all the liquid has bubbled away. Once the liquid is gone, add the tomatoes and stir thoroughly to coat the ingredients. Once the tomatoes begin to bubble, turn the heat down to the laziest simmer and cook the sauce, uncovered for 3 hours, stirring from time to time. If the sauce looks like it is drying out, simply add 1/2 cup of water whenever necessary. At the end, however, no water at all must be left. Taste and correct for salt and pepper.
- When ready to eat, toss cooked drained pasta with a tablespoon of butter and top with a generous scoop of bolognese. Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley and serve with freshly grated Parmesan on the side.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Box: Olive OIl, Butter (butter is only included in the 3-5 size Real Food Box), Whole Milk, Dry Wine, Nutmeg, Salt, Pepper, Parmigiano-Reggiano