- 1 lb lamb stew meat (or beef) in 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 cup dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 8 oz potato, peeled and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 small celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 16 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- ground black pepper
- In a large frying pan sauté the onion and celery root over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to brown, then add the garlic cloves and cumin for a further 2 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Place the meat and water in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, skimming the surface frequently until you get a clear broth. Add the onion and celery root mix, the drained beans, cardamom, turmeric, tomato paste, and sugar. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer gently for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender. If you have an Instant Pot, this will happen in closer to 20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the soup and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Bring back to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and beans are tender and the soup is thick. Seasoning to your liking. Serve the soup with bread and a squeeze of lemon and freshly chopped cilantro to garnish.
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: Salt & Pepper, Sugar, Tomato Paste, Cardamom Pods, Ground Turmeric & Cumin, Sunflower Oil.