- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- One 3– to 3 1/4-pound chickens, or 1/2 chicken (depending on box size)
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon piment d’ Espelette or Aleppo pepper, or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small jar, combine the white wine vinegar with the dried oregano. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 days. Strain the oregano-infused vinegar into a small bowl and stir in the olive oil. (If you don’t get to this in advance, don’t worry. Just do it while you prepare the chicken.)
- Using kitchen shears, remove the wing tips and the backbones from the chickens. Set the chickens on a large rimmed baking sheet, skin side up, and press down firmly on the breastbones to flatten them so that the legs face the breasts. Score each breast, drumstick, thigh and wing halfway to the bone in two places per part. Drizzle all but 2 tablespoons of the vinegar-oil mixture over both sides of the chickens and rub the mixture into the meat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the dried sage with the kosher salt, piment d’ Espelette, dried rosemary and ground black pepper. Rub the seasoning all over the chickens. Let the seasoned chickens stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Roast the chickens in the upper third of the oven, skin side up, basting both chickens with the remaining vinegar-oil mixture half way through, until the chicken is just cooked, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°, about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Pour the pan juices into a small saucepan. Broil the chickens about 4 inches from the heat, rotating the pan, until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes. Carve the chickens. Reheat the pan juices and serve with the chicken.
- This recipe has a few steps that require waiting. If you’re in a rush, don’t hesitate to skip the resting time in the fridge. The chicken will still be wonderful, though you might want to season it with a little more salt before you cook it.
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: White Wine Vinegar, Dried Oregano, Olive OIl, Dried Sage, Salt, Pepper, Dried Rosemary, Black Pepper
- Serving Size: 2