Enjoy these beautiful briskets!Print
A great winter meal. Sugarloaf Radicchio is a chicory, sometimes known as Pan di Zucchero
- Water – 12 cups
- Kosher Salt – 1 cup
- Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon Stick – 1
- Mustard Seed – 1
- Black Peppercorn – 3 tsp
- Cloves – 3-4
- Bay Leaf – 3
- Ginger – 1 inch, chopped (opt)
Cooking the Brisket
- Brisket – Brined
- Onion – chopped
- Garlic – chopped
- Carrots – sliced
The Sugarloaf Radicchio
- Radicchio – cleaned and sliced and chopped a little more
- onions – sliced
- Garlic – 1 clove, chopped
- water – 1 cup
- (Bacon) optional)
- The Rest…
- Sweet Potatoes –
- EVOO –
- Kale –
- This recipe is, at least, a one-day process, but it’s very simple and straight forward, so relax and enjoy the culinary ride. At least 12 hours, but I recommend 24-36 hours before you start cooking your beef brisket into corned beef, you must first brine it in a liquid.
- For the brine liquid, place all ingredients into a sauce pan, bring it to a boil, then turn it off and allow the brine to cool.
- Once your brine has cooled, cover brisket in brine. The best way to fully and completely brine your brisket is in a zip-lock plastic bag. Put brine and brisket in a large ziplock, carefully removing as much air as possible. Set in a bowl or tray – so that if a little leaking happens it won’t dirty your fridge. Leave brisket in brine for at least 12 hours but like I said earlier, I recommend 24-36 hours. I know people who brine their brisket for up to 7 days.
- When it’s time to cook the brisket, remove from brine and pat dry. Place in a pot and cover with just an inch or so of water. For a bit of flavor, add the onion, garlic and carrot.
- Lower heat and simmer for 2-3 hours. Remove and slice ready.
- The sweet potatoes: Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into cubes and roast them at 375’F for about 60-75 minutes or until fork tender. (You can also use normal potatoes for this).
- The Kale: Kale chips are amazing! De-stem kale and put in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and paprika and lay on a flat tray. Bake in oven at 275’F for 20-30 minutes. Yeah! Kale Excellence!
- For the Radicchio: Saute the onion in 2-4 tablespoons oil until soft. If you have some bacon left over add to the pan for extra flavors. Add all the chopped radicchio plus the garlic, cook until well wilted and garlic is soft.