- Ground beef – 1 lb
- Onion – 1, diced
- Carrot – 2 carrots, sliced thin or diced
- Chili Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin – 1 tablespoon
- Paprika – 1 teaspoon
- Oregano, ground and dried – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato sauce – 1 8-oz can or 1 cup fresh with tomato paste
- Mushrooms – 1/2 lb, sliced
- Coriander – 1 teaspoon
- Beef or vegetable stock or water – 1 cup
- Get your ground beef frying up in a big chili pot, then add onions, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms to the big old chili pot. Season heavenly with cumin, coriander, paprika, and chili powder (paprika only if you prefer it not be too spicy).
- Let all these beautiful vegetables just do their thing for a bit. They will be frying and stewing and steaming up on each other for a while: this is what we want.
- After a few minutes you’ll notice liquid appearing — this is the sign to add your tomatoes and tomato paste and stock, and turn the whole big old chili pot down to a simmer for 1-2 hours.
- In the meantime, make some rice or some cornbread.
- Serve chili over rice with grated cheese and chopped onions. Corn bread is a nice accompaniment to chili as well.
- Not included in Large Kitchen Boxes: Chili Powder, Cumin, Paprika, Oregano, Tomato sauce, Tomato Paste, Coriander, Beef or Vegetable Stock, Rice, or Cornbread
- Serving Size: 4