If you happen to be a native of Upstate New York, or have visited, you may know about the beloved Dinosaur BBQ Restaurant. Their meat dishes are great, but we love them for their vegetarian sides & salads!
- FOR THE SALAD
- Ripe tomatoes – your portion
- Pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 large red onion
- 30 small fresh basil leaves
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Core the tomatoes and cut lengthwise into 6-8 wedges. Cut each wedge in half crosswise.
- Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and wake them up with a big pinch of salt, pepper and sugar. Cut the ends off the cucumbers and use a vegetable peeler to make long stripes in the skin.
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- Add to the tomatoes.
- Peel the onion and cut lengthwise into slivers. Dump the onions in with the tomatoes and cucumbers and give everything a good tossing.
- Clean and dry the basil leaves. Stack them on top of one another and roll lengthwise into a tight cigar. Cut crosswise into thin strips and stir into salad.
- Throw together a batch of dressing by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour over tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Marinate the salad at room temperature for several hours.
- Refrigerate any leftovers — if there are any.
- Serving Size: 6