There is not a whole lot that’s more basic than meatloaf. I have eaten so many different versions, in so many different homes, it is amazing. The blueprint to construct a meatloaf: meat, ground beef in this case; bread crumbs, to create volume and absorb juices; and eggs, to hold it all together.Print
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, chopped or grated
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- Mixed chopped herbs like parsley or rosemary, optional
- Salt and pepper
- For one pound of ground beef use 1.5 cups of bread-crumbs, soaked in 1/2 cup milk, and 2 eggs. This will give you the right ratio to build on and create your own flavors. I like to add chopped or grated onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, dry or fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
- Mix all this in a bowl and push into a pyrex dish, or any high-walled baking dish. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and cook for 45 minutes at 375′. Take meat loaf from the oven and remove lid. Pour and spread ketchup on top of the meat loaf and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the ketchup is bubbling.
- Not included in Large Kitchen Box: Breadcrumbs, Milk, Soy Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Salt and Pepper, Ketchup
- Chef Tip: Try adding a pinch of cayenne, a pinch of dry mustard powder, and a handful of finely chopped mushrooms.