- -1 cup pearl barley
- -1 winter squash, cut in half and seeded
- -6 celery stalks (leaves picked and reserved), cut into small dice
- -1/4 cup olive oil
- -3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- -2 small garlic cloves, crushed
- -2/3 tsp ground allspice
- -salt and black pepper
- -3 tbsp chopped dill (optional)
- -3 tbsp chopped parsley
- -seeds from 1-2 large pomegranates (optional)
- – 1-2 carrots, grated (optional)
- Rinse the barley with cold water, then place in a medium saucepan and cover with plenty of fresh water. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tender but still with a bite.
- While it’s cooking, heat the oven to 425, and cut the squash into half moons. Toss with a tablespoon or two of olive oil, and salt and pepper, and roast until tender and slightly browned, 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Drain the barley and transfer to a mixing bowl. While it is still hot, add celery, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, allspice and some salt and pepper. Stir, then leave to cool down completely.
- Remove the peels from the roasted squash, and cut it into pieces.
- Once barley is cool, add the herbs, squash, carrots and/or pomegranate seeds, celery leaves and mix. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking, then serve.
- Not Included in Your Box: Olive Oil, Vinegar, Allspice, Pepper, Salt, Dill (if you have any leftover from last week).
- Serving Size: 4