A simple, vegetarian recipe that celebrates the moment between spring and summer. You can leave out the cheese if you want the dish to be vegan!
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 lb zucchini or summer squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped marjoram, parsley, or basil, or a combination
- 3/4–1lb. fresh pasta
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly toast the walnuts for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool and chop the walnuts lightly.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini or summer squash and cut into a julienne with a knife or mandoline. (A julienne is thin strips, for zucchini they don’t have to be too thin.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pan and add the zucchini. Saute over medium-high heat, tossing the quash in the pan until it’s tender and lightly browned. Turn off the heat and season it with salt, pepper, and the herbs.
- Cook the pasta in abundant, salted water. Before you drain it, reserve some of the cooking water. Toss the noodles with the seasoned squash, a splash of the cooking water, and the walnuts.
- Plate and garnish with grated cheese, if desired.
- Not Included in the Large Real Food Boxes: Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper.