A foolproof way to cook green beans.Print
- 1 lb green beans, washed and stemmed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minched
- 1 tbsp finely snipped parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 heirloom tomato
- Fill a big pot with water and bring to a rolling boil. Add 1 tbsp of salt and the stemmed green beans and cook, uncovered for 5 minutes or until tender but resistant to the bite. Drain the beans, and immediately plunge into a bowl of lightly salad ice water to stop the cooking. As soon as the green beans are chilled, drain them. Heat the butter in a wide skillet until hot and foaming. Add the green beans, and cook, tossing constantly, until heated through. Add the garlic, parsley, a generous sprinkling f salt, and a few grinds of black pepper and continue cooking 1 minute longer. Cut tomato into cubes, toss over green beans. Serve immediately.