Grilled Pork and Aurora Borealis Peaches
- Total Time: 55
- Approximately 2lbs boneless pork butt, butterflied and trimmed
- 8–10 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb fresh peaches, skin on, cut in half and pitted
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
- 1. Light a fire in a fire pit with a grill, or in a charcoal grill, or set a gas grill to high. If you have a very strong vent in your kitchen, you may use your stove with a burner set to high. Place a large cast-iron pan or two-burner grill over the heat and allow it to get hot. At this point, you can let the fire die slightly with no ill effect. If using a gas grill or stove, turn heat to medium.
- 2. Meanwhile, put the pork on a work surface and, using a meat mallet, pound to an even thickness of approximately 3/4 of an inch.
- 3. Combine the garlic, rosemary, and 6 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl, mixing to make a rough paste. Season the pork aggressively on both sides with salt and pepper, then spread half the garlic mixture over one side, and half on the other side.
- 4. Brush the pan or griddle with the remaining olive oil, allow it to heat until it shimmers and is almost smoking, then place meat on the hot surface and cook, without touching, until it forms a good crust, approximately ten minutes.
- 5. While the meat cooks, surround it with the peaches, cut side down, and dot the fruit with the butter. (If you’re using two cast iron skillets, place the peaches in their own oiled pan.) Let them cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until they are soft and slightly charred. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm
- 6. When the meat is well browned on the first side, use tongs to turn it over and cook in the remaining butter for another 5-7 minutes. Remove the meat to a carving board and allow it to rest below a tent of foil for approximately 5 minutes. Slice the meat and serve with the peaches.
- Serving Size: 4