- Large onion (1lb) peeled and cut lengthwise into wedges, leaving root ends intact
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Your Portion of skirt steak
- 1 Tbs ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Flour tortillas (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro
- Metal skewers
- Fresh tomatillos
- 10 fresh serrano chiles
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbs plus 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps freshly squeezed lime juice
- Prepare grill for cooking. Thread onions onto skewers (or put in grill basket), then brush with 1 Tbs oil and with salt and pepper. When fire is medium-hot (i.e., you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds), grill onions, turning occasionally, until tender, 16 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. When just cool enough to handle, cut onions into 1-inch pieces and toss with vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- While onions are grilling, stir together the lime juice and remaining 3 Tbs oil on a shallow dish, then add steak and marinate at room temperature, turning once, 10 minutes.
- Pat steak dry, then rub with chile powder, cumin and coriander and season with salt and pepper. Grill steak on lightly oiled grill rack, turning once, 6 to 10 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board, then let stand 5 minutes before cutting diagonally into thin slices.
- If you’re going the tortilla route, while steak is standing, toast tortillas directly on grill rack, turning once, until puffed slightly and browned in spots, about 1 minute total.
- Preheat broiler. Remove husks from the fresh tomatillos and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness. Broil fresh tomatillos, chiles, garlic, and onion on rack of a broiler pan 1 to 2 inches from heat, turning once, until softened and slightly charred, about 8 minutes.
- Peel garlic and pull off tops of chiles. Puree all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Box: Olive Oil, Salt, Ground Pepper, Balsamic vinegar, Ancho chili powder, Cumin, Coriander, Flour Tortillas (optional)