The difference between style and fashion is quality. ~ Giorgio Armani
Italian Sausages and all the other quality ingredients Giorgio would approve of, will make this dish a knock-out. Recipe by Sara Woodward.
Sausages and beets are a great combination. For the beets, are you need to do is simmer them. Here’s a tip: Place them in a large pot then cover with cold water. Turn heat on high until water begins to boil then reduce heat to medium to keep water at a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. This week we have included Amaranth Greens as a seasonal substitute for spinach, which otherwise grows best in colder weather.Print
- 1 pack italian sausages
- 2 onions, sliced
- Cup of spinach, trimmed and washed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red beets, simmered until tender
- 1 cup goat cheese, softened and mixed with a little milk or cream until spreadable
For the Beets
- Once simmered, peel the beets and slice into very thin rounds. Place a spoonful of goat cheese into the center of the beets and roll up tightly like a cigarette. Chill until ready to serve. (If they don’t hold together, you can fasten them with a small skewer or toothpick. These make a tasty little snack or appetizer.
For the sausages
- Cook sausages in saute pan or in the oven on a baking sheet until cooked through. When cool, slice into rounds on a bias. In a large bottomed saute pan, heat a half cup or so olive oil and cook the sliced onions until softened. Season with salt and pepper and add the sliced sausages plus any juices you’ve collected while they were being sliced. Just before serving, wilt in the spinach and taste for seasoning.