- For the chicken
- 1 each whole chicken, rinsed
- ½ each fresh lemon, washed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic, smashed with the side of a knife
- 1 handful parsley sprigs, with stems, washed
- For the jar salads
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 1 bunch radishes, diced
- 1 bunch watercress, washed
- 1 honeydew melon peeled, seeded, and diced
- ¼ lb feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 4–6 pint-sized mason jars
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- Juice of 1 ½ lemons
- 1 TBS honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt or smoked salt
- 1. Wash the chicken in cold water. Put it in a pot and add the lemon half, 2 tsp salt, peppercorns, garlic clove, and parsley sprigs, and add enough cold water to come about 2 inches above the chicken. Turn on the flame to high heat and check every few minutes. As soon as you see bubbles, turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Try not to let the chicken boil! Poach on low heat for 40- 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the chicken cool in the liquid for another 30 minutes. Then take it out, peel off the skin, and take the meat off the bones. Dice up the chicken meat and refrigerate it. You can strain the poaching liquid, store in the refrigerator or freezer, and use it as light chicken stock later, or discard it.
- 2. Cook the corn cobs in water for 5-7 minutes. Once they are cooked, husk them and take the silk off. (This improves the flavor!) Use a knife to cut straight down to take the kernels off the cobs.
- 3. For the vinaigrette, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, olive, oil, and smoked salt or sea salt.
- 4. Use your Out of the Box mason jars to layer the corn, radishes, cress, melon, mint, chicken, and feta cheese. Drizzle the dressing directly into each jar and put the lid on. You are ready to picnic!
- Not Included in Large Culinary Inspirations Box: Not Included in Large Real Food Box: whole black peppercorns, olive oil, honey
- • Did you know: poaching chicken at 165-175 degrees—just tiny little bubbles—keeps it supremely juicy!
- • Did you know: the stem is the most flavorful part of the parsley.
- Serving Size: 4