- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ small celery root, peeled and cut into ¼ inch dice
- 20 large cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups cooked cannellini
- 7 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, to serve
- Lemon juice, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and celery root over medium heat for 15 minutes until the onion starts to brown. Add the garlic cloves, cumin and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat
- Add the meat and water to a large saucepan or dutch oven. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, skimming the surface frequently until you get a clear broth. Add cardamom, tomato paste and sugar. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer gently until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes to the soup and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Bring back to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and beans are tender. The soup should be thick. Let it bubble a bit longer if it is thin, or add a bit of water or stock if it is too thick. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Serve soup hot, garnished with cilantro and lemon wedges, and accompanied by bread.
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: Oil, Cumin, Turmeric, Cardamon pods, Tomato Paste, Sugar, Salt & Pepper, Bread.