- Chicken Marinade
- Chicken thighs – 1-2 per person
- Salt- 1/2 TBS
- Sliced Onion – 1/2 cup
- Thyme – 1 TSP
- Bay Leaf – 1 or 2 (optional)
- White Wine, white wine vinegar, or verjus – 1/4 cup
- Bread Crumbs – 1 cup
- Butter – 3 TBSP
- Parsley – Chopped
- Thyme – 1/4 TSP
To Cook Chicken
- Shallots – 1/4 cup chopped
- Butter – 1 TBSP
- White Wine – 1/2 cup
- Dijon Mustard – 1/4 TSP
- Egg – 1 – whisked lightly
- Black Pepper – pinch
- Smashed Potatoes
- Potatoes – 1-2 per person
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Olive Oil – generous glug
- Garlic – 2 finely sliced cloves
- Rainbow Chard – 1 bunch
- Olive Oil – 1 TBS
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Red Wine Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Herb Vinaigrette
- Red Wine Vinegar – 3 TBSP
- Chicken Stock or Water – 1 TSP (really)
- Salt and Pepper – pinch
- Parsley Leaves – a handful, chopped
- Dijon Mustard – 2 tsp
- Honey or marmalade – drizzle
Preferably the evening before
- Mix: sliced onion, thyme, bay leaf, white wine, salt in a bowl. Add chicken thighs and cover. Chill at least 3 hours up to overnight.
- For the crumb mixture: Heat a large skillet, adjust to medium heat. Add butter and then the crumbs, stirring constantly so the crumbs don’t burn. When they are toasty, add the parsley and thyme, set aside. If you don’t have any bread crumbs, make your own by simply taking some stale or day-old bread (or even a piece of toast!) and whizz it up in your food processor.
- *This can be done the evening before. Let cool, cover tightly but DO NOT refrigerate!
Time to Cook
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Melt the last tablespoon of butter in a skillet, sauté the shallots until they are translucent, adding white wine, and reduce. Whisk the mustard and the egg together add the shallot/white wine, remove from the heat and whisk together with the black pepper. Set aside.
- Cooking the chicken: Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking, to bring to room temperature. Discard the seasonings and dry the legs with paper towels. Season well with black pepper. Heat the skillet and add 2-3 TBP olive oil, add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown, then remove the chicken to a plate. Off the heat, drain the accumulated fat and add chicken stock (about 3/4 cup) and water (about 3/4 cup) and scrape to loosen the browned bits.
- Toss the thighs in mustard mixture, slathering them generously, then place them back in the skillet, nice and tightly. Top with the bread crumbs, use them all!… Bake about 40 minutes until cooked through.
- Turn the oven up to 450 and cook another 8-10 minutes to brown and crisp the crumbs.
- Smashed Potatoes: Wash the potatoes but do not peel them. Cut into large chunks, rinse in cold water. Place in a pot with cold water to cover 3 inches. Add 2 tbsp salt and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally and cook about 15 minutes until tender but not mushy. Drain immediately but do not rinse. Use the same cooking pan: gently heat 2 TBS good olive oil and finely sliced garlic. Add the drained and dry potatoes, to the oil. Stir with a wooden spoon and lightly smash the potatoes against the pan, season generously with salt and pepper.
- Sauteed Rainbow Chard: Wash and cut the leaves into manageable pieces – bigger is better then smaller. In a skillet, heat 1 TBS olive oil, add the chopped and still wet chard – it should sizzle and spit a bit. Stir and toss to wilt it all, add salt & pepper and 1 tsp red wine vinegar. Cook a bit more until slightly dry.
- Herb Vinaigrette: Mix ingredients together in a jar, and shake.
- Not Included in the Box: Bay Leaf (opt), White Wine, Bread Crumbs, Butter, Salt, Black Pepper, Vinegar, Chicken Stock, Honey