Makhlama is a dish of soft cooked eggs atop a skillet of ground beef with onions, parsley, tomatoes, and in my father’s style: the addition of lemon juice. Just trust me on this one. Using the best quality ingredients here will change the taste dramatically.Print
Edited by Chef Danielle Goldstein
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb Ground beef (organic and pasture-raised, if possible)
- 1 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3–5 Eggs
- Olive Oil
- Salt | Black Pepper
- Maldon salt, optional, to top
- 1/2 lemon, wedges, to top
- 1. In a large skillet, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil at medium. Sweat the onions about 3-5 minutes. Add salt.
- 2. Add the ground beef. Be sure to break it apart as you stir so that the meat cooks in small pieces, like pebbles. Cook until browned at medium heat, about 5-8 minutes.
- 3. Once the meat is cooked, add the tomatoes and cook on medium heat 3-5 minutes. Then add parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together well.
- 4. Bring the heat up to Medium/High, add the eggs on top of the mixture in individual spots. Top with some salt, preferably a nice flaky salt like Maldon sea salt. Immediately cover the skillet and reduce heat to Medium/Low. This shouldn’t take more than 5-10 minutes, depending on the density of your skillet. Keep checking, so that the whites are cooked but the yolks are still soft.
- 6. Once done, remove the cover. Top with more parsley!
- 7. Serve with samoon, khubz tanour, pita, or baguette! And if you’re like me, a little labneh, too!
- Variations of this dish are served from Africa, through the Middle East, all the way up to Norway! Labneh is a delicious middle eastern condiment also known as “yogurt cheese.” Use leftover labneh in the morning by spreading it on toast and topping with jam.
- Make it Your Own: For a saucier version, add 1 cup water or broth and 2 TBS tomato paste before adding the eggs. For a richer version, spice the beef with cumin, paprika, chili powder, sesame seeds and/or harissa paste. For a garden fresh version, garnish with raw tomato wedges and/or raw bell pepper slices.
- Not Included in Large Box: Maldon Salt, Olive Oil