Jonathan Gold in Laura Gabbert’s CITY OF GOLD. Courtesy of Jerry Henry. A Sundance Selects release.
Inspired by LA’s Jitlada Thai restaurant
- 1 bottle Ayara’s Pad Thai Sauce
- 4 Tbs Shrimp Paste (Large Real Food boxes only)
- 1 1/2 Tbs Pickled Radish (Large Real Food Boxes only)
- 4 Tbs Dried Shrimp (opt)
- 8oz pork cooked tenderloin and but into bite-sized pieces, or tofu
- 8 ounces dried pad Thai noodles (soaked as per instructions)
- 4 eggs
- 8 Tbs Soybean Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbs Pi
- 1 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 2 limes, cut into 2 wedges each
- 3 Tbs roasted peanuts, crushed
- 3 Tbs roasted ground chili peppers
- 4oz beansprouts for cooking (hold some for garnish)
- 4 oz carrots, shredded
- 4 oz green onion
- Cilantro, to taste
- Soak dry noodles in cold water for 15 minutes, once soft remove from water (or as instructed on package). Place a wok on high heat. Once hot, add oil and cook meat, garlic, tofu (if using) and egg until golden brown (in that order). Add noodles into the wok. When it begins to soften – add the shrimp paste, pickled radish, dried shrimp (if using), and paprika (in that order). Once mixed, add the Pad Thai sauce, bean sprouts, and green onion. Toss for no more than 1 minutes. Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with beansprouts, carrots, lime wedges, peanuts, roasted chili peppers, and cilantro to taste.
- Not included in your box: Soy or Vegetable Oil. (Small real food boxes don’t have pickled radish or shrimp paste).