Bloomsdale spinach makes an interesting change from the traditional arugula with steak found in the classic Italian tagliata. Bloomsdale and other Savoy (bumpy-leaved) spinaches have no tannin pucker and hold up better in salads and cooking than flat-leaved varieties. Even the stems are sweet. Season meat with salt before cooking to deepen the flavors you get from browning and to help develop a crust. This dish travels well for picnics.
A riot of color and taste, this salad uses golden beets and berry-toned blood oranges.
- Top Sirloin Steak
- Sea Salt – to taste
- Bloomsdale Spinach – 1/2 lb.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Black Pepper – to taste
- For the Beet and Blood Orange Salad
- Blood Oranges – 1 lb.
- Golden Beets – 1 bunch, roasted and sliced
- Packed Pepper Cress – 1 cup (optional)
- Avocado – 1, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Sea Salt & Pepper – to taste
- Heat a grill to medium. Rub about 1 teaspoon of salt into the meat and fat of each steak. Grill, turning once, to desired doneness, about 4 minutes on each side per inch of thickness for medium-rare.
- Cut the spinach crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons (chiffonade) and place in a bowl. Add the oil, a little salt, and a few generous grinds of pepper and toss. Mound the spinach on a platter. Cut the steaks, across the grain and on the diagonal, into thin slices. Lay the steak slices over the spinach and serve.
- For the salad, peel and segment the oranges into a salad bowl, reserving the membranes. Add the beets, pepper cress (optional), and avocado to the bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil, and squeeze the membranes over the top, releasing their juice. Sprinkle the salad with salt and pepper and toss, then taste and adjust with more oil if needed.
- Chef’s Tip: Brooke Williamson and Nick Roberts, former chef-owners of Beechwood Restaurant in Venice, add complexity to their beet salads by marinating the roasted beets for at least 24 hours in a mixture of honey, olive oil, shallots, thyme, salt, and a splash of sherry vinegar.
- Not Included: Sea Salt & Pepper, Olive Oil