- 1 cup dried cannellini or borlotti beans
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 lb green beans, cut into 1” lengths
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into small dice (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 bunch of kale, stemmed, washed, and chopped
- Olive oil and parmesan cheese for finishing
- Soak the beans in water overnight, if desired, to shorten the cooking time. Then, cook the beans in water, and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Heat 1/4 up olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, then add the onion and carrots, if using. Cook for 15 minutes, or until tender. Then add the garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, bay, and salt. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil, then add the kale and green beans. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the zucchini (if using) and tomatoes. Cook for 15 minutes. Add the cooked beans along with 1 cup of the bean cooking liquid.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick, add more bean cooking liquid or water. Serve in bowls, topped with grated cheese, if desired, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serving Size: 8