- Thawed Pie shell
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Handful Maitaki Mushrooms
- Onions (Sweet or Cipollini)
- 1 clove, minced Garlic
- 2 tablespoons, freshly chopped Thyme
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Whole milk, or ricotta, or sour cream
- 1 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Kale –
- Shaved yellow carrot –
- Pepitas or a nut of your choice –
- Pickled Onions –
- Tarragon Mustard Vinaigrette –
- lemon –
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel and remove the root end from the onions. Place them in a pie dish or small roaster, toss with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Roast until the onions are soft and begin to color but still hold their shape, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Increase oven temp to 400.
- In a non-stick frying pan, sauté mushrooms in 1 tablespoon olive oil with the minced garlic clove. Set mushrooms aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg with your choice of dairy (milk, ricotta or sour cream).
- Add all other ingredients (except mushrooms and onions and 1/4 cup of the cheese) into the mixing bowl.
- Prick bottom of pastry crust with a fork, nestle the onions into the pie base and pour in the filling. Sprinkle mushrooms and the remaining cheese on top.
- Place the pie tin on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- This delicious mushroom and onion tart can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s great at brunch with a green salad.
- Wash the kale thoroughly in cold water and spin dry in a salad spinner. Remove most of the tough stalk from the kale, massaging the leaves with fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and olive oil to soften it up a bit.
- Chop, the kale, and place in a serving bowl with the shaved carrot. Top with pepitas or other nuts along with pickled onions. Dress with tarragon mustard vinaigrette.