This recipe is courtesy of Pairings, a multi-award winning, food-themed, serialized fictional comedy series.
About The Show: Alan is terrible with women. While Alan can cook beautiful (and delicious) plates of food, he often eats them alone. His friends and family convince him that ‘the way to a woman’s heart is through her stomach.’ As Alan starts cooking his way through the dating world, he discovers things about women, himself, and the lasting memories of food.
- 4 portobello mushroom, sliced
- 12 medium mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter, plus 1 Tbsp * 3-5 box only
- ¼ cup cheese, grated
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups heated vegetable broth, heated (Give or take. Risotto takes however much or little broth as it takes to stay moist until it the rice is tender.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large saucepan or pot, sauté the mushrooms in 1 Tablespoon of butter until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid and reserve.
- In the same pan add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the onion over medium heat until golden.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add rice and cook with onions, mushrooms and garlic until translucent.
- Add wine and cook until absorbed.
- Stir in 1 cup of broth (It is important that the broth is heated in the microwave especially in the beginning, to keep the cooking process going. Risotto is too tricky to have cold or room temperature broth slow cooking) and bring to a simmer, stirring regularly. When the broth has been absorbed, add another cup and continue adding cups as absorbed, for 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- When the rice is soft, stir in the cheese and remaining butter. Return mushrooms to the risotto and stir.
- Salt to taste, and serve immediately topped with any extra cheese as garnish.
The risotto makes an appearance at 5:36, but we encourage you to watch the full episode for context. Alan’s family and friends offer him romantic advice, resulting in a wildly inappropriate bet proposal from his friend, Bobert.
Lasagna is made and delivered. Mushroom risotto is enjoyed. Craft beer is drunk, sushi is consumed and Settlers of Catan is played.