- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1/2 loaf of bread, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 a cucumber, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 20 large basil leaves, torn up
- 2 TBS olives (optional)
For the vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Add more oil as needed.
- For the vinaigrette, soak the onions in the red wine vinegar for 20 minutes while you prepare everything else. Whisk the rest of the ingredients into the vinegar and onions.
- In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, basil, and olives (optional). Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.
- Not included: Salt and Pepper, Olive Oil, Dijon mustard
- Serving Size: 4