Pickled Persimmon Salad
You can store the persimmon and fennel pickles in mason jars in your refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- 1 lb Fuyu persimmon persimmons, cored
- 1/2 head fennel, cored
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 1 tsp each: coriander seeds and mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 each cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 TBS kosher salt
- 1 Persian dried lime, optional
- 1 cup escarole, washed and torn
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1. Bring the vinegar, water, sugar, spices, salt, and optional Persian dried lime to a boil in a non reactive saucepot.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut the persimmons, fennel, and shallots into wedges and put them into a clean mason jar. Pour the hot pickling liquid over the wedges in the jars. Allow to cool for 30 minutes, then put the lids on and store in the refrigerator.
- 3. When you're ready to make your salad, remove some of the persimmons, fennel, and shallots from the jar with a fork, and toss them with the escarole.
- 4. Remove 1 TBS of the pickling liquid from the jar and strain it into a small bowl. Whisk in the mustard, then the olive oil and use it to dress the salad.
- Not Included In the Box: Apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, coriander and mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, kosher salt, Persian dried lime (opt.), dijon mustard, olive oil
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/