Alice Waters Egg Poaching 101: It can take a few tries to get the hang of poaching an egg, but with the farm fresh Dare to Dream eggs from OTB, this will be a great skill to have — perfect for a delicious breakfast or casual dinner.
Choose a heavy, but shallow pan, and fill about 3 inches deep with water. Add a large splash of vinegar, and put the pan over medium heat. You want the water hot but without any bubbles breaking the surface.
Carefully crack the eggs into individual cups or small bowls — or even a saucer — so you can gently slip each egg into the water. Be careful not to break the yolk. Hold the cup as close as you can to the water and slip the egg into the water so that it keeps its shape. After a minute you can gently stir the water to discourage the egg from sticking to the bottom of the pan — you want the white to set before starting to stir. I like to poach eggs one egg at a time, but you can do a larger batch if you feel brave. Lower the heat if the water begins to simmer. Each egg should take about 3 minutes to cook, straight from the fridge. You can test for doneness by gently lifting the egg with a slotted spoon and pressing it gently with your finger to feel how set the white and yolk are. Drain on a towel, blotting the top gently to dry. You can keep the eggs warm in a bowl of water while you cook the next batch if you are cooking alot of them…Print
- Frisee, washed
- 2 bacon slices (opt)
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 1/2 Tbs EVOO
- 1 1/2 Tbs bacon fat
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 4 eggs, cracked from their shells
- Remove the dark green outer leaves of the frisee. Separate the frisee into individual leaves and dry well. Cut the bacon into 1/3-inch pieces; warm the olive oil in a small heavy pan, over medium heat, add the bacon pieces and cook until brown but not crisp. Remove from the pan and pour off the fat from the pan and reserve.
- For the dressing, mix the ingredients, whisking in the olive oil and bacon fat, taste for seasoning.
- Fill a heavy saucepan with 4 cups of water and add the vinegar, Heat to just below a simmer and add in the eggs, cracked from their shells. Poach for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water and keep warm.
- Put the vinaigrette into a large bowl (remove the crushed garlic clove), add the bacon, and put the bowl over the pan of hot water to warm. Add the greens and toss well. Divide the greens among warm plates, gently blot the eggs dry, and put 1 egg on top of each salad. Grind a little black pepper over the top and serve immediately.
- Not Included in Large Culinary Inspiration Box: Bacon Slices & Bacon Fat (opt), Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Dijon Mustard, Salt, Pepper,