- Frisee, washed
- 2 bacon slices (opt)
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 1/2 Tbs EVOO
- 1 1/2 Tbs bacon fat
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 4 eggs, cracked from their shells
- Remove the dark green outer leaves of the frisee. Separate the frisee into individual leaves and dry well. Cut the bacon into 1/3-inch pieces; warm the olive oil in a small heavy pan, over medium heat, add the bacon pieces and cook until brown but not crisp. Remove from the pan and pour off the fat from the pan and reserve.
- For the dressing, mix the ingredients, whisking in the olive oil and bacon fat, taste for seasoning.
- Fill a heavy saucepan with 4 cups of water and add the vinegar, Heat to just below a simmer and add in the eggs, cracked from their shells. Poach for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water and keep warm.
- Put the vinaigrette into a large bowl (remove the crushed garlic clove), add the bacon, and put the bowl over the pan of hot water to warm. Add the greens and toss well. Divide the greens among warm plates, gently blot the eggs dry, and put 1 egg on top of each salad. Grind a little black pepper over the top and serve immediately.
- Not Included in Large Culinary Inspiration Box: Bacon Slices & Bacon Fat (opt), Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Dijon Mustard, Salt, Pepper,