The secret to these potatoes’ creamy insides and crunchy exteriors is the pre-cooking in boiling water.
- 1 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a large pot of salted cold water bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let cool to warm.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large cast iron skillet or oven-proof nonstick skillet, stir together the oil, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Stir in the potatoes until coated with the oil mixture, then roast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until very crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.