- 3–4 oranges
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 pound carrots
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 pound shallots
- 1/4–1/2 pound dried plums or pitted prunes (depending on how sweet you want the dish)
- 2–4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground white or black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Using a swivel-blade vegetable peeler, remove the zest in large strips from 1 of the oranges and the lemon. Be sure to press down only hard enough to capture the colored part of the skin, not the bitter white pith. Juice enough oranges to yield 1 1/4 cups juice. Reserve the lemon for another use.
- Peel the carrots and cut them crosswise into 2″ chunks or lengthwise into 2″ chunks. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into large bite-size chunks. Peel and quarter the shallots lengthwise. Use kitchen scissors to snip the dried fruits in half.
- Use a roasting pan large enough to hold all the vegetables in more or less a single layer. Place carrots, sweet potatoes, shallots, dried fruit, and lemon and orange zests in the pan. Toss with enough olive oil to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper, and pour the juice over all.
- Roast the vegetables, turning them once or twice during cooking, until they are tender and are browned in places and most of the juice is absorbed, about 1 1/4 hours. If you want a saucier finished dish, add another 1/4-1/2 cup juice during the last 20 minutes of cooking. The juice should thicken slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Boxes: Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Black Pepper,
- Serving Size: 4