Roasted Chicken Breast w/ Sauteed Rainbow Chard & Quinoa
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
Easy, healthy, simple.
- 1 lemon, zested, juice reserved
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp crushed fennel seed
- 1/8 tsp chili flake (optional)
- 1–2 large chicken breasts, cut in half
- 2 purple carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of fresh thyme sprigs, washed
- 4 cloves garlic, whole and unpeeled
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bunch of rainbow chard, leaves pulled from stems and washed, stems reserved
- Preheat oven to 375. Mix the lemon zest, fennel, chile flake, and olive oil in a small bowl, and rub all over chicken breasts and the carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Put the chicken and the carrots on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet with the unpeeled garlic cloves and a handful of fresh thyme sprigs, and place in the oven to bake. The chicken should take about 20 minutes to cook. Cover it, if necessary, to keep from drying out. You can cut into the center to see if it’s done, or use a thermometer and make sure it reads 165 degrees before removing from the oven.
- Once you place the chicken in the oven, start making the quinoa. Slice the swiss chard stems thinly into half moons. Heat a saute pan over medium heat and add a little bit of olive oil. Saute the chard stems until almost tender, then add the quinoa, salt, pepper, and 2 cups water. Cover and simmer 12 minutes. Chop up the chard leaves and stir them into the pot with the quinoa, along with the juice from your lemon and a bit of butter or olive oil if you wish. Cover the quinoa and remove from the heat, and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken breast and roasted carrots over the quinoa, and squeeze the roasted garlic on top.
- Chef Tip: For a vegetarian version of this meal, omit the chicken and double or triple the amount of roasted carrots. You can roast some cauliflower along with the carrots as well!
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: Olive OIl, Fennel Seed, Chili Flakes (Opt), Salt & Pepper, butter (opt).
- Serving Size: 2