- 1– 1.5 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1–1.5 lbs potatoes, halved and cut into 1/2” thick slices
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons thick hot sauce or harissa (optional, sriracha or chili paste is also fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1/2 lemon)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (do not use Greek yogurt)
- 1 small garlic clove
- Chopped fresh dill, as needed
- Lemon juice, as needed
- Start by roasting the beets wrapped in foil in a 400F oven for about an hour (skip down to the chicken and get to work with that part while the beets are cooking – or better yet prep the beets the day before you want to eat them so they’re ready to go…) NB If your beets are small this will reduce cooking time by 1/2.
- Remove the beets from the oven, and once cool, cut off the tips and tops, then remove the skin, either by peeling carefully or rubbing the skin off with your fingers (wash your hands quickly afterwards or you’ll have pink fingers for days. Slice the beets.
- Combine chicken and potatoes in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together harissa, cumin, and 3 tablespoons oil. Pour over chicken and potatoes and toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine leeks, lemon zest, a pinch of salt, and the remaining 1.5 tablespoons oil.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange chicken and potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast 15 minutes. Toss potatoes lightly. Scatter leeks over pan. Roast until chicken and potatoes are cooked through and everything is golden and slightly crisped, 25-30 minutes longer.
- While chicken cooks, place yogurt in a small bowl. Grate garlic over yogurt and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon yogurt over chicken and vegetables in the pan. Scatter dill over the mixture. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice and serve with the sliced beets with a bit more yogurt spooned over them, if desired.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Box: Olive OIl, Cumin, Salt & Pepper.
- Serving Size: 4