The okra should be just tender and bright green and the tomatoes just warmed through.Print
- 5 slices bacon
- 4 cups okra, washed, trimmed, and sliced ½ inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/3 inch wedges
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into ½ inch wedges
- Cook the bacon slices in a large skillet until crisp. Leaving the rendered bacon fat, remove the bacon from the pan and reserve. Add the sliced okra to the skillet, and cook, stirring frequently, over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Add the onion wedges, salt, and pepper, and continue cooking, still stirring, for 5 minutes. Toss in the tomato wedges, and reduce the heat to low. Cook, partially covered, just until tomatoes are heated through, 3-4 minutes. Carefully taste for seasoning, and adjust if needed. Serve warm, with reserved bacon slices crumbled over.