Shashuka with Steak
Included in box
- 1 onion, large, peeled and slice
- 2-3 peppers, cored and cut into 2cm strips
- 2 tbsp, chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6-8 eggs
- 6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Your portion of breakfast steak or some sausages
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 190 ml light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4 tsp sugar
- Bay Leaves (opt)
- 6 springs thyme, picked and chopped (opt) -
- 1/2 tsp saffron strands (opt)
- A pinch cayenne pepper (opt)
- Salt and pepper
- Up to 250 ml of water
- In a large saucepan, dry-roast the cumin on high heat for two minutes. Add the oil and sauté the onions for two minutes. Add the peppers, sugar, bay leaves, thyme, parsley and two tablespoons of cilantro, and cook on high heat to get a nice colour. Add the tomatoes, saffron, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes, adding enough water to keep it the consistency of a pasta sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning. It should be potent and flavoursome. You can prepare this mix in advance.
- Place four small saucepans on medium heat and divide the mixture between them. Break two eggs into each pan, pouring into gaps in the mixture. Sprinkle with salt, cover and cook very gently for 10-12 minutes, until the egg just sets. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with chunky white bread.
- Quickly fry or grill the breakfast steak or sausages to your temp and serve with the shakshuka.
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/