A simple mayo-free side. See all the variations in the notes for those wanting a more interesting slaw.
- 1 small cabbage
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced as thinly as possible
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cider or wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Tear off and discard the tough outer leaves of the cabbage. Cut into quarters and remove the core. Turn the cut side down and slice crosswise into thin shreds.
- Mix the cabbage together in a large bowl with the onion, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar and oil, and the pour the dressing over the cabbage. Taste for salt and acid, and adjust as necessary. Eat right away, or let sit for a while to let the flavors permeate and the cabbage soften.
- Quarter and core 1 apple, slice thinly and mix with the cabbage and onions.
- For a more traditional slaw, stir in 1/4 cup store-bought or homemade mayonnaise in place of the olive oil.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Box: Salt, Pepper, Vinegar, Olive Oil