Photograph by Michael Graydon & Nikole HerriottPrint
The yogurt is spiced with toasted cumin and coriander seeds, cilantro and mint, and mixed with EVOO, vinegar and lemon juice
- 2 bunches Thumbelina carrots, scrubbed
- 6 Tbsp EVOO
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1/s cup fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup spiced yoghurt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
For the Spiced Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp water, or as needed
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine the carrots with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the thyme leaves and 2 Tbsp of the orange juice. Let stand at room temperature.
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- In a roasting pan large enough to hold the carrots in a single layer, heat the remaining 3 Tbs olive oil over high heat. Add the carrots and cook until they begin to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and cool until the carrots caramelize around the edges but are still a bit firm, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Return the pan to the stove top over medium heat, and add the wine, remaining 6 Tbsp orange juice, and the stock. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, until the liquids thicken and begin to coat the carrots, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the spiced yogurt, you can either simply salt it, or infuse a cup of yogurt in a food processor with ground coriander, cumin, cilantro, and fresh mint and pulse about 5 seconds until yogurt is tinted green. Add the olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice and pulse just until incorporated. Taste and season with salt.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle the spiced yogurt on top, sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds, and garnish with the cilantro. Serve warm.
- Not included in your box: Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, Sesame seeds, White Wine, Stock.