From the New York Times online food section:
- 1 lemon, plus 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, more for pot
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 cups sliced carrots (1/4-inch thick)
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup sliced dates
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup chopped mint and/or parsley, for garnish
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pistachio nuts, for garnish (optional)
- Here’s a handy guide on how to cut your whole chicken into 8 pieces: http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101_basics_techniques/kitchen_tips_techniques/how_to_cut_up_whole_chicken
- Quarter the lemon lengthwise, removing any seeds. Thinly slice crosswise into small wedges and add to small pot of boiling, salted water. Blanch for 2 minutes and drain. Reserve slices.
- In a saucepan, whisk together lemon juice, orange juice, oil, mustard, honey, salt, bay leaf, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Put chicken in a bowl and add honey mixture. Add carrots, onion, dates, thyme and blanched lemon slices. Turn mixture several times to coat. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, but preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Transfer all ingredients, including marinade, to a sheet pan with a rim. Chicken should be skin side up. Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes for breasts and 30 to 40 for legs and wings (remove the pieces as they are done cooking). When the chicken is done, give the carrot mixture in the pan a stir; if the pan looks dry add 2 to 3 tablespoons water. Continue roasting the carrots until they are tender, about 7 to 12 minutes longer.
- Spoon carrots over chicken and top with chopped herbs (and optional scallions and pistachios).
- Not Included in the Box: Kosher salt, olive oil, whole grain mustard, honey, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, black pepper, scallions (optional), nuts (optional)
- Chef’s Tips: If you don’t have pistachios, try almonds, cashews, or pumpkin seeds to garnish your chicken.